Rekka brings up the concept of self-care, which is something she’s feeling a bit of a failure at, of late.
As the primary write-o-tron of your authorial career, you need to make yourself a priority.
Tripod of Self-Care:
- Stress – Eliminate stress when and where you can
- Sleep – We heal our bodies when we sleep, and restore our energy
- Nutrition – Proper nutrition allows for a lot more than weight loss
- Getting away from your desk and moving is great, but nutrition is more important;
- Put on your own oxygen mask first;
- If you want your art to be a priority, you’ve gotta take care of your health;
- Collect bio-information (mentioned Oura ring) to study your patterns and get an idea of how well (or poorly) you are sleeping;
- You can’t bank up sleep, you need to develop and adjust healthy sleep habits;
- If every time you sit down and you feel like you have to wrestle for every sentence, your art is contributing to your stress and you have to eliminate stress wherever you can from the rest of your life;
- De-stressors = Find something that you can do just for the sake of doing it, not to compete or perfect it;
- Possible De-stress Activities: Sports, Gardening, Running, (Romance), Cooking;
- There’s not always an easy answer;
- If you feel like you’re doing it because it’s *supposed* to de-stress you, but isn’t, be willing to pivot and keep looking;
- The food you eat is probably killing you slowly (more information on ketogenic diet available from Brian’s site, Ketovangelist);
- You can adjust the balance of your activity without taking time away from your writing time.
- Authors are entrepreneurs, and there is an overwhelming list of things to manage, beyond just writing;
- Mental and physical awareness is important – if we don’t take care of ourselves, there are going to be problems that develop;
- Guilty of failing lately – don’t be like Rekka;
- Self-awareness is crucial – pay attention to your emotional and physical signals;
- When she changed to a ketogenic diet, she found the energy and focus to finish her book after puttering around on it for 14 years;
- Tries to keep phone in airplane mode while writing to stay focused.
Recommended Reading: War of Art by Steven Pressfield
Rekka’s homework (and maybe yours): Identify activities to de-stress.
Brian’s homework: Re-prioritize working out (his de-stress activity). Rearranging schedule to improve sleep.